Request Free

    Please do not include any confidential information in this form. This form sends information by non-encrypted e-mail which is not secure.

    Unfiled Tax Returns

    Frequently Asked Questions

    What If I Owe More Taxes Than I Can Pay?

    Even if you do not have the money to fully pay the taxes owed, you should still file a tax return to minimize the penalties you will pay if you have unfiled tax returns.

    There are a many ways to pay the unpaid income taxes or payroll taxes:

    • Enter into an installment payment agreement to pay the tax debt in monthly installments, or
    • Work to get an offer in compromise accepted by the IRS.

    What If I Do Not File My Tax returns Voluntarily?

    The IRS will take aggressive enforcement action against such people who have unfiled tax returns. Often, the IRS will prepare substitute tax returns and then assess the tax they computed against the person. In almost all cases, the tax assessed by the IRS will be much greater than the amount you actually owe since they do not take into account deductions when they compute the tax. Therefore, it is very important to have all unfiled tax returns filed.  It is always better to file your taxes and deal with any issues that arise when you are unable to pay them than to fail to file a tax return.

    Will I Go to Prison for Not Paying My Taxes?

    It is a long-standing policy of the IRS not to pursue the prosecution of individuals who fail to file their tax returns and pay the tax owed if they voluntarily file the missing tax returns, and make an honest attempt at paying the taxes owed.  Though it may seem better to just put off filing your return hoping that maybe you’ll have the money to pay it later or that the IRS ‘won’t notice’, it’s just too risky and not worth the potential problems that you could potentially have to deal with when the IRS does come calling.

    We Can Help You No Matter Where You Live.

    Our New York tax law firm offices are located in New York State but we are able to help you in any state across the country. We can work with you no matter where you live. Mr. Hart is licensed to deal with the IRS in every state in the entire country.

    Attorney Timothy Hart

    Timothy S Hart, the founding partner of the tax law firm of Timothy S. Hart Law Group, P.C. is both a New York Tax Lawyer & Certified Public Accountant. His area of expertise includes innovative solutions to solve your Internal Revenue Service and New York State tax problems, including tax settlements through the Federal and New York State offer in compromise programs, filing unfiled tax returns, voluntary disclosures, tax audits, and criminal investigations. [ Attorney Bio ]

    Request Free Consult

      • Please do not include any confidential information in this form. This form sends information by non-encrypted e-mail which is not secure.

      Albany, NY

      300 Great Oaks Blvd., STE 300
      Albany, NY 12203
      Phone: (518) 213-3445

      New York, NY

      1180 6th Ave #8Fl
      New York NY 10036
      Phone: (917) 382-5142