New York State Filing Tips

March 8, 2013 | Tax Compliance

New York State Filing Tips

According to the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance, taxpayers tend to make several common mistakes every year.  The following list is a way for you to double check so you can hopefully avoid simple filing errors with this tax help.


  • Always file.  Avoid the penalties and interest that occur when you file late.  Taxpayers who believe that they cannot file a return by the 15th should file for an extension on or before the due date of April 15th.
  • Even if you are unable to pay your personal income taxes in full, you should still file on time. Late-filing penalties are much higher than the penalties for late payment.  If you file late but do not pay in full, New York State Department of Taxation and Finance will contact you and you can set up a payment plan.
  • Verify your Social Security Number
    • If your identification was incorrectly printed on your W-2 statement, you must contact your employer to obtain a corrected W-2 statement.
  • If you lived in New York City for part or all of 2012, indicate this on the form.
    • Include the proper New York City and Yonkers tax, as required.
  • Declare all of your income.  This includes full-time work, part-time work, temporary employment, or supplemental employment.
    • 1099’s: If a business owner pays a worker who is a non-employee $600 or more for a trade of business, a 1099 must be issued.
    • Declare all income: All cash income is subject to income taxes. Even without a 1099 or W-2, all income must be declared.
  • Make sure that you indicate the total amount of tax withheld during the year.  Add up any W-2, Federal Wage, and Tax Statements you have received.
  • Be sure to file all additional schedules and form that might be required with your return.
  • When mailing your returns, be sure to include your return address and enough postage on the envelope.  Mail your forms to the correct address.


Additional Filing Tips from the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance:

  • E-File your return and pay any balances electronically.  This is fast and secure.  Most taxpayers opt to E-file.  If you are E-Filing for yourself, you sign by checking a box.  If your return is prepared by a tax preparer, you must sign an E-File signature authorization form , which will allow the preparer to E-file.
  • Receive your refund using direct deposit, a debit card, or by check. Direct deposit is faster, and considerably safer than receiving a paper check through the mail.  The New York State Department of Taxation and Finance believes that this is the best option.  Debit card refunds are used like any other debit card, where the refund balance is loaded onto the card and the taxpayer can use it to make purchases.
  • If you make $57,000 or less, you may qualify to ‘Free File’ and use free tax preparation and e-filing software. You will qualify for both federal AND state Free File by using the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance Web site.

By: Timothy S. Hart

Attorney Timothy Hart

Timothy S Hart, the founding partner of the tax law firm of Timothy S. Hart Law Group, P.C. is both a New York Tax Lawyer & Certified Public Accountant. His area of expertise includes innovative solutions to solve your Internal Revenue Service and New York State tax problems, including tax settlements through the Federal and New York State offer in compromise programs, filing unfiled tax returns, voluntary disclosures, tax audits, and criminal investigations. [ Attorney Bio ]