Request Free

    Please do not include any confidential information in this form. This form sends information by non-encrypted e-mail which is not secure.
    [honeypot email-confirmation id:footer-email-confirmation]

    our legal blog

    Tax Tips for U.S. Citizens Living Abroad: Foreign Earned Income Exclusion

    June 13, 2013 | Tax Laws

    Tax Tips for U.S. Citizens Living Abroad: Foreign Earned Income Exclusion Some American citizens choose to live and work outside of the United States.  On the federal level, all US  taxpayers and resident aliens must report and pay taxes on their worldwide income, regardless if they live within or outside of the US. Taxpayers who reside overseas are given an automatic two month extension to file their returns, and this year the filing date is Ju... CONTINUE READING

    Determining Filing Status

    June 13, 2013 | Tax Laws

    Determining Filing Status When taxpayers file their income tax return, one of the first questions required is their filing status.  Filing an income tax return with the correct filing status is important for taxpayers; the filing status is used to determine filing requirements, the standard deductions, correct tax, and eligibility for tax credits. The correct filing status can not only impact the benefits you receive, and the amount of taxes you... CONTINUE READING

    Innocent Spouse Relief on Jointly Filed Income Tax Returns

    June 10, 2013 | Tax Relief

    Innocent Spouse Relief on Jointly Filed Income Tax Returns Married taxpayers often choose to file joint tax returns because of the benefits this filing status permits, especially tax credits and exemptions.  When filing a joint return, both of the taxpayers are liable for the taxes owed, as well as any interest or penalties that might be assessed. Individuals who are married and file joint returns with their spouse and later divorce can still be audited... CONTINUE READING

    Form 1040X: The Amended Tax Return

    June 6, 2013 | Tax Compliance

    Form 1040X: The Amended Tax Return Having your tax lawyer revising your Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, is done if information reported on the form is incorrect and changes the tax calculation.  Filing an amended return is the correct action to take if your original return is incorrect in the amount of income, filing status, number of dependents, deductions, or credits.  Taxpayers should also file an amended return to remove deductions and... CONTINUE READING

    IRS Levies

    May 3, 2013 | Tax Levy

    IRS Levies If you do not settle your tax debts from back taxes, the Internal Revenue Service can put a levy on your bank account. A levy is a seizure of your property to settle a tax debt.  This seizure is legal, and actually takes your property from you to satisfy the tax debt. Reasons for an IRS Levy" The IRS can commence a levy for several reasons, such as unfiled tax returns, unpaid back taxes or if you defaulted installment agreem... CONTINUE READING

    IRS Tax Fraud Alerts

    May 2, 2013 | Tax Fraud

    IRS Tax Fraud Alerts Tax fraud is common, and not always the fault of the taxpayer.  The IRS warns taxpayers of scams and fraud that they might unknowingly become a part of.  Listed are some common tax fraud types that taxpayers should be knowledgeable about. Tax Return Preparer Abuse It is important for taxpayers to choose a tax preparer car... CONTINUE READING

    Fresh Start Program Helps Taxpayers Who Owe the IRS Back Taxes

    April 19, 2013 | Tax Debt

    Fresh Start Program Helps Taxpayers Who Owe the IRS Back Taxes If you owe back taxes,  the Internal Revenue Service offers a Fresh Start initiative that makes it easier to pay back taxes and avoid tax liens.  This program can benefit small business taxpayers and individual taxpayers and 1) help back taxes, and 2) give some certainty to your tax problem. The Fresh Start program changes best practices in federal tax liens, installment agreements,... CONTINUE READING

    Unfiled Tax Returns

    April 17, 2013 | Unfiled Tax returns

        Unfiled Tax ReturnsNew York Tax Attorney offering tax help with unfiled tax returns (aka back tax returns or past due tax returns) for clients who are unable to pay the taxes owed. Let us help you put an end to your tax problems, including wage garnishments, income tax liens, and income tax levies. As an experienced tax attorney, we know how to navigate the system to get the best result for you. Once the IRS contacts you regarding your unfiled tax... CONTINUE READING

    Itemizing vs. Standard Deduction

    April 1, 2013 | Tax Compliance

    Itemizing vs. Standard Deduction Each tax season taxpayers have to choose to between standard and itemized deductions. It is smart to compare the two methods, and pick the one that gives you the largest tax benefit. The following are some tax tips to help you choose. Know what the standard deduction is. If you choose not to itemize, you will automatically be given the standard deduction. The standard deduction amount is determined by your filing s... CONTINUE READING

    The Internal Revenue Service Disallows Child Tax Credits

    March 14, 2013 | Tax Compliance

    The Internal Revenue Service Disallows Child Tax Credits The Internal Revenue Services is strict when it reviews child tax credits.  The tax law allows a deduction for each dependent the taxpayer is supporting.  A dependent is defined as a qualifying child or qualifying relative under Section 152 (a). Section 152 sets strict standards as to who can be claimed as a qualifying child or qualifying relative. One of the requirements to be a qualifyin... CONTINUE READING

    What Does IRS Notice CP501 Mean & What to Do?

    CP501 is one of the first notices that you will receive if you owe taxes to the IRS. Usually, the agency sends out CP501 notices to taxpayers whose accounts are in the automated collection system (ACS)....